Welcome to our "new blog." We have officially moved to Maryland and having more than one bathroom is truly as wonderful as we all imagined. We are also eager to get going on our list of "must sees" while we are living so close to our nations capital. Seth is working at the National Institute of Health (NIH) in Bethesda for 3-5 years so we have time to do it all. We love staying connected with family and friends through blogging so thanks for stopping by!



Thursday, July 4, 2013

Thoughts on Thirty. 6/21

GEDC0056

I’m thirty!! Part of me says, “It’s about time, I have four kids and have been married for ten years!” Another part of me will miss the scapegoat of being in my twenties. Whenever I felt guilt for being a slacker or not diligently putting money in our 401K I would just think, “well I’m only in my twenties, I have time!!” Time to start being a more diligent saver (loves to Clark Howard and Dave Ramsey)!

I think back to when I turned twenty and my life was COMPLETELY different!! I was a newlywed of 1 and 1/2 months and was just figuring out adult life. I was a full time student, working and felt crazy busy. If I only new then what busy felt like. I was also very unhealthy and overweight. Seth and I let things really go after we got married; Lee’s half off a dozen donuts after 10pm was not a good thing for me. I’m grateful that I got with the program and while I am not as healthy as I should be I understand the importance of nutritious food and  exercise . I don’t think I could run a mile back then. Cheers for good change.

I have four kids now! I have been incredible blessed  to have been given such great kids so quickly. It was a VERY big shock when I found out I was pregnant with Charlie but he, Matthew, Lucy, and Conrad have added a lot of joy to my life.  Motherhood is hard but I have learned a lot over the years and appreciate the ability to learn and change when things aren’t working. I will frequently joke with my sister Nora that you can always make a new sticker chart to mix things up.

There are other things that I thought that I would have down at thirty that are still a ways off. Somehow I always thought I would be a Scriptorian by now. Nope. I also thought I would own a house and be settled for the next fifty years. Nope. The latter is ok because moving around has introduced me to lots of great people and places and I LOVE meeting new people and visiting new places. I’m also really thankful for all the advancements in technology so my family is just a call/skype/facebook away!  I thought that graduate school would be in my short term future but that has not happened….again maybe in the next ten years.

I feel really blessed. Great husband, kids, home, extended family, friends, community and above all a stronger testimony. I think that has come through the passage of time. Trials have come and I’m thankful the faith was there to get me through. It’s been a blessing to go through stages of life living gospel principles I believed were true and then after living them knowing they are true.

6-26-015

For the big thirty, Seth went above and beyond. He presented me with a box full of little wrapped gifts. He gave me thirty of my favorite things. He had me open up one at the very beginning he was most excited about. It was a hoppy taw. Back when I was in grade school hopscotch was an intense game and we played with a little rubber disc called a hoppy taw. I have drawn many hopscotches for my kids but would always point out how a rock was a poor substitute for the really hoppy taw. I didn’t even know they still sold them. It even came with the official rules and the exact dimensions to draw your own. It was a wonderful morning activity with the kids. Another one of the gifts was a REALLY sharp knife. I have had dull knives for a few years and have wined without action. It’s funny how something so basic can bring so much happiness. 

That night we enjoyed some Satin Pie or “Satan Pie” as Charlie referred to it. I wonder where I’ll be at forty?? house? more kids?? marathon? more schooling? new hobbies? west coast??

4 comments:

  1. happy (late) birthday my dear friend! welcome to the decade of no-more-excuses. and lots of dental work, apparently. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little late, but... HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHARON!

    You don't know how many times I think of you! I truly admire the mother/wife/leader you are! Your example has and continues to help me in my day to day life. I often think "What would Sharon do?" Seriously. Happy 30th my dear friend!

    ReplyDelete