My Grandma (18) and Grandpa (19) shortly before they were engaged.
My dear Grandma Allen passed away this past Tuesday morning. This was expected but it is still hard none the less. My Grandma was an amazing woman who shaped my life for the better. I have two very specific memories of my grandparents (many more but these stand out to me). There was a very intense feeling every time you walk into my grandparents home. I can recall feeling it at a very young age, it was almost tangible. Later in life I learned that what I felt was the Spirit and a lot of Love. My grandparents were very faithful people who were always serving others, especially their family.
Once when we were traveling for one of my cousin’s wedding my grandparents and my family stayed in the same hotel. As part of the arrangements my sister and I were sent to sleep in our grandparent's hotel room. We all were climbing into bed when my Grandma pulled out a copy of, The Book Of Mormon and said, “we read a chapter every night, would you like to read with us?” I have heard countless talks on daily scripture study but this one experience with my Grandma taught me more about the importance of reading your scriptures than all the talks combined. She lived her life as an example of good.
A few months ago, I was talking to my mom when she explained my Grandma’s health was declining and she didn’t have much longer to live. I found myself reaching for her life story. I had read it once before when I was in high school but had only browsed through it from time to time since then. I began reading and became completely engrossed! At the time of reading her book Seth was trying to finish up his dissertation and the stress level in our home was high. I had forgotten that my Grandma had gone through all of this before me and yes, she had it a lot harder. When my Grandpa was a graduate student at UCLA he didn’t have “funding” like today, he didn’t even have a real mentor. He had to work at a gas station on weekends and was always serving in a leadership position in their ward. They also had three kids at this time (sounds familiar?). She had such a good attitude about everything! I really had a lot to learn from her example.
I also loved reading about the missions they served(London and Mississippi). They left eleven children and many grandchildren to serve the Lord. They had strong testimonies of the gospel and loved the people they taught. They were lead so many times by the spirit and stayed committed even when thing weren’t so good. My Grandma was bitten by EVERY bug they have in Mississippi.
Farewell Grandma Allen. I will miss your beautiful smile and quick wit.
No comments:
Post a Comment