Welcome to our "new blog." We have officially moved to Maryland and having more than one bathroom is truly as wonderful as we all imagined. We are also eager to get going on our list of "must sees" while we are living so close to our nations capital. Seth is working at the National Institute of Health (NIH) in Bethesda for 3-5 years so we have time to do it all. We love staying connected with family and friends through blogging so thanks for stopping by!



Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Knight Birthday Party!!

Charlie finally had his birthday party last Saturday(Dec 10th) after having it postponed from the previous Saturday. All the kids (6)  came and it was completely wild. I thought that it would be fine since we invited TEN kids last year but I failed to take into consideration that four of them were girls and these were ALL boys. Anyway, lesson learned.

IMG_4647IMG_4651

Seth built these awesome catapults out of popsicle sticks for each boy (a little hot glue too). The boys decorated them with markers and then shot the castle with mini-marshmallows. This was the highlight of the party and Seth deserves a lot of credit. He still can’t use his left thumb and has it in a sling/brace.

We did a relay game where we split them up into two teams. At one end were cups with a marked line on the side and the other end had a huge bowl of water. Using tablespoons they had to take turns racing back and forth trying to fill their cup up to the line. When the team finally reached the line they had to dump in the “magic powder” (aka crystal light) and mix it up. The next person in line had to drink it all and hop back to the start like a frog (because the potion turned them into a frog).

IMG_4648IMG_4660

Thanks to “Family Fun” magazine, this was the easiest cake I have ever made and it tasted delicious thanks to Seth’s frosting skills. 

IMG_4665IMG_4668

The climax of the party was the “Winter Dragon” piñata. The boys picked out the colors which I thought were strange for a dragon, but it worked.

I really wish I would have taken a picture of when all the candy fell on the ground. We actually had a pile-up with kids flying everywhere.  I’m grateful nobody got hurt.

So, Seth and I are reevaluating birthday parties. Maybe less kids is the key, maybe a friend party every other year, maybe we need to outsource to Chucky Cheese???? Thoughts? Opinions?

2 comments:

  1. My boys had a blast. They came home and shot bits of crayons at targets all weekend with their catapults.

    ReplyDelete