Have you ever woken up one morning and realized you were a BIG nag?? Ever since January my kids seemed to be listening less and less and I was yelling/nagging more and more. I was constantly telling/reminding them of every step that needed to happen in their life (brush, floss, etc.). A friend told me how she had made picture charts for her kids of all the “stuff” they needed to do every morning and evening so I decided to go with that (after a failing attempt at a sticker chart). This is what I came up with for each of them:
I laminated them and have them hanging on hooks outside of their room with an expo marker (they put a little check under each picture when the task is completed). Now all I say is, “Go check your chart”! It’s worked well, not perfect, but I nag less and they are flossing regularly. They both have become pretty good at making their beds as well. The best part is, there is NO reward; they just have to do it! I guess the little check mark they get to make under each picture gets them excited but that’s it. Matthew even asked what he “got” if he got all of his chart checked off and we had a great conversation about how these are things he’s going to have to do every day for the rest of his life so it’s probably best he get used to it now. I think we also talked a little about all the “natural” rewards he got for completing each chore as well.
Matthew’s midday line is also really good for me because I would often lose the routine in the afternoon (dang internet)and nothing productive would happen(reading time, lunch time, learning time, play time-which is when I get my stuff done).
So, the charts don’t end with them. I stumbled upon a mom chore chart on Pinterest and instantly new this could really work for me. I was feeling so overwhelmed with all the “little things” that weren’t getting done that often times I wouldn't do anything. With a baby on the way I finally had the motivation to get my life in order as well. Here is what I came up with:
It took a few weeks to work out all the kinks (and it looks NOTHING like the example I found on Pinterest) but it’s great. Things like “dusting” are finally happening in this house! The best part is, I don’t feel like I’m doing any more work than I was doing before. Before this I was still trying to do ALL the laundry in one day which really destroyed whatever day it was that I decided to do it. Now it’s not such a big deal because I only do one or two loads every couple of days.
I am realistic, and this honeymoon phase with the charts could end at any moment but I hope they keep their magic!
So...you motivated me. I copied your charts and they are helping so much! Henry said, "Hey- Charlie's got a chart like this too!"
ReplyDeleteYes. Yes he does.
Thanks for sharing!
Can you send me your original of this? I figure I shouldn't reinvent the wheel, when you have already done it. :) My kids need this SO bad. Where is the clip art from?
ReplyDeleteI love the "Sharon's Sanity Chart"--I have been needing that for me as well. Did you pin this on Pinterest?
ReplyDelete