My cousin Steven and his new wife Christie came to visit us from Ann Arbor. We met Christie shortly before we moved away so this was the first time we had seen them together married. It was a nice change to hang out with newlyweds and Seth and I took the time to reflect on our newlywed days almost a decade ago! They were kind enough to bring a dozen pumpkin donuts from Wasem’s Fruit Farm in Michigan and they were as good as I remembered! On Saturday morning we all piled into the minivan for a trip into the District. We visited the National Archives and Christie and Steven went over to the art galleries. I really enjoyed the experience more than I was expecting to. It was powerful to actually see the Constitution, Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights and think of all of the blessings I enjoy because of these documents. Our kids were kids so this was our one and only stop in the city. (the picture below of the Rotunda is a stock photo because they don’t allow photography inside)
The real fun began when we met back up with Christie and Steven in the afternoon. I have always wanted to visit Georgetown Cupcakes because they are famous and I love a good cupcake. Georgetown was only ten minute drive away so we all voted for the side trip. It was a DISASTER! We got stuck in insane traffic and I made a very bad plan on top of it. Since we weren’t moving anyway, I thought maybe Seth could just jump out and walk a few blocks to the cupcake place and pick up a variety of cupcakes for all of us. Steven was called on to drive because I was nursing a screaming baby at this point. Seth got out of the van and was on his way to get some cupcakes. The traffic let up a little and we made our way down “M” Street, we passed Georgetown Cupcakes only to see an insane line out the door and all the way down the block. All that for a cupcake?? About this time we realized Seth didn’t have his cell phone. We were going to just make a circle around the block to find Seth but we didn’t complete the circle and made our way up to Georgetown University. We finally got turned around but again we were stuck in traffic and not moving. A little panic set in when we realized we lost Seth in downtown Georgetown and we had no idea where he was. After changing a diaper on my lap and settling Conrad back into his car seat we all decided it was best for me to go looking for Seth with a cell phone in hand. I took of running and after about 15 minutes I found him on a street corner patiently waiting. I was happy to see him and we took off running back to the van. We found the van and after forcing my cousin to make an illegal left turn we were all reunited and ready to leave Georgetown. Seth made a vow he would NEVER return. Thankfully Christie and Steven were good sports and just laughed off the hour of wasted time that resulted in NO cupcake. As compensation we indulged on Chocolate truffles from Sam’s Club when we got home.
They came to church with us on Sunday and helped me prep everything for the primary program practice! They went back into the District on Monday morning and took off for Ann Arbor in the afternoon. We were glad they came and can’t wait to see them again. *side note- since this experience I have eaten a Georgetown Cupcake and it was an OK cupcake……I didn’t have to go to Georgetown to get it because they have a store in Bethesda which is NEVER busy. They give away 100 free cupcakes every day if you give them the secret code from their twitter feed and the flavor changes every day. It was not worth $2.75!!!*
No comments:
Post a Comment