We had a storm, a really big one!! I didn’t even know there was a major storm predicted until I was sitting by our window feeding Conrad and was seeing the trees whipping around. The house shook with some of the gusts and we lost power. With the lights all out, we saw an amazing lightning storm where the sky was continuously illuminated with lightning flashes (thankfully our kids slept through it all).
We went to sleep and were a little surprised when the power was still out the next morning. We wound up our little emergency radio and found out that MILLIONS had lost power and it could be daysss before everybody would be restored. The storm was considered a “once every 50 year storm” with gusts up to 80mph. Seth and I were a bit nervous with the warm 100 degree day ahead of us. Cellphone reception was sketchy but I was able to get my friend Amanda on the phone who I think was the only person in Rockville who never lost power. She was very gracious to let us come over to access her internet and store some of our meat in her freezer. After reading more information about how devastating the storm was (and seeing lots of downed trees) we were just grateful that we were fine and a tree didn’t fall on our house:(
We spent most of the day in downtown Rockville where we were able to find AC and play in the water fountains. Sadly, the library was closed because they had no power but Five Guys Burgers was open. The kids had fun playing in the water and then we headed home prepared for a warm night of sleep.
We were so happy to arrive home to a house with a few lights on and an AC buzzing!!(our total outage time was only 18 hours) I jumped on the computer where I found a message from my visiting teaching companion about a sister I visit teach who had been driving around in the storm with her husband and had a large branch fall on her van. Thankfully they were both fine but their van was out of commission and on top of that their apartment building said it would be closer to a week before they would get power back. I was able to get in touch with her and her husband, plus their five cute kids, and they came to stay in our basement. They ended up staying for two nights and while we had a “full house” our kids had a blast with their new play mates and were sad when they left.
When we drove to church on Sunday we passed a beautiful home that is across the street from the temple that had a large tree fall on it and completely crush the front of it. Once again, I’m so grateful our tree stayed put and we were safe.
No comments:
Post a Comment