Welcome to our "new blog." We have officially moved to Maryland and having more than one bathroom is truly as wonderful as we all imagined. We are also eager to get going on our list of "must sees" while we are living so close to our nations capital. Seth is working at the National Institute of Health (NIH) in Bethesda for 3-5 years so we have time to do it all. We love staying connected with family and friends through blogging so thanks for stopping by!



Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Look who turned SEVEN! 2/14

 

Our sweet Matthew is growing quickly and celebrated his seventh birthday. This year was similar to the year he was born with lots of snow on the ground. I had planned to go help with his Valentine’s party on the afternoon of his birthday but everyone was still digging out from the big storm the day before so school was cancelled again. He was disappointed there would be no Valentine’s party and no cupcakes but since it was his birthday he had some awesome toys to keep him entertained the whole day.

IMG_0298

We love Matthew and are so grateful he is part of our family. As the years go by I realize that his soft side is here to stay. The boy can’t get enough hugs and kisses and still prefers to be on my lap while he reads (all 60lbs of him). He is sensitive to the world around him and with that he can get frustrated fast when things aren’t the way he wants or he can’t understand something. We have had too many homework battles but thankfully they are getting longer and longer between. Structure is Matthew’s friend. While school is not always his favorite he loves all of his friends and begs for play dates. He has actually become a great playmate to Lucy and is always thinking up new role-playing games for them. She is only too happy to follow along.

2-14-14SnowDay

Zoobs are about the greatest non-choking building toy ever invented. He also got a  Spirograph set that has kept him creating. I did come around and threw some cupcakes in the oven so we could sing to him that night. His actual birthday was still a win.

IMG_0313IMG_0317

We had his friend birthday party the following Saturday and thankfully all the snow had cleared and we had five eager friends at our home who were ready to have fun. Birthday parties are funny because every time we throw one I have the same thought right before the party starts of “this is ridiculous and too much work and we should never do this again” and then right after they end, “that was so fun, what great kids, when is our next party?” He opted for a “Minecraft” themed party and thanks to Pinterest I was supplied with endless ideas for games and decorations. Seth found a Youtube station that had remade trendy songs into Minecraft songs complete with music videos. The kids loved dancing along with the Steve heads.

  2-15-14MBirthdayMtVernon

2-15-015

We pinned the sword on Steve, decorated swords, played Mincraft Bingo, and of course there was a piñata. The kids were gems and I credit that to the two cute calm girls Matthew invited.

Matthew’s birthday just kept going. There was no school the following Monday because of presidents day but his teacher did reschedule the Valentine’s party for the following Tuesday afternoon. I found a sitter for Conrad and Lucy and went to help out. I was in charge of cupcakes and the craft. We made heart hats out of red paper plates and the kids decorated them with foam stickers. It went over well. The kids had a feast of junk and enjoyed passing out their Valentines. Matthew asked me why all the girls in his class made homemade Valentine’s while all the boys had purchased theirs from the store. I don’t know.

2-15-016

A big year lays ahead for this boy in anticipation of his baptism and I ‘m sure it will be a good one for him. 

What do you want to be when you grow up?  Nurse

What is your favorite color? Light Blue

Who is your best friend? Ty Conner

What is your favorite show/movie? Dinosaur Train

What is your favorite game to play? Jenga

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Matthew! I can't believe he's 7! So clever about that minecraft party, you pulled it off well. I can't believe how much those kids are growing!

    ReplyDelete