Welcome to our "new blog." We have officially moved to Maryland and having more than one bathroom is truly as wonderful as we all imagined. We are also eager to get going on our list of "must sees" while we are living so close to our nations capital. Seth is working at the National Institute of Health (NIH) in Bethesda for 3-5 years so we have time to do it all. We love staying connected with family and friends through blogging so thanks for stopping by!



Wednesday, March 12, 2014

The Suttons Came Back. 2/22

IMG_0391mountvernon2

Trent and Vanessa came back to DC again for Trent to go to the same conference he went to last year. They stayed in downtown DC and we picked them up from their hotel and took a trip to Mt Vernon (sans kids). It just so happened to be George Washington’s birthday and the weather was beautiful in the high 50s! We got there shortly after it was opened and it was practically empty. I was worried it was going to be a zoo with it being a beautiful Saturday but I worried for nothing. 

2-15-017

Vanessa and I in the back of the house, Seth with Washington’s threshing barn, and George and Martha’s tomb

I have been to Mt Vernon twice before but both times was with kids and more specifically a baby and a toddler. This was so different. I read plaques and conversed feely with Vanessa, Trent, and Seth! Mt Vernon has to be one of my favorite places to visit. It is so beautifully situated on the water and the spirit is strong and peaceful. I’m not surprised he gave up Washington to return.

2-15-019

The View from the back part of the house and the piper who we heard throughout the afternoon.

We dropped them back off back in DC at the National Art Gallery before returning to pick up our kids from the Porters.  Vanessa rode the metro out to visit us the next day on Sunday (Trent was at his conference) and it was nice to have her come along with us to church. She got another dose of Rockville ward conference just like last year when she visited.

On Monday I rode the metro to DC with Conrad and Lucy and we met Vanessa at the Library of Congress. This has to be one of the most beautiful buildings I have ever been to. We started a tour but quickly dropped out due to potty breaks and toddler chasing. For lunch we walked over to “Good Stuff Eatery” and guessed who we bumped into- Trent! DC is such a small place. Somebody had recommended the restaurant to their group so they had taken a taxi over. It was nice to meet the whole “Idaho delegation of health insurance underwriters.” After lunch we said our goodbyes and went our separate ways.   

camera picts

Lucy waiting for the metro,Vanessa and the Gershwin Piano , the main reading room,  Vanessa admiring a mosaic, Conrad hiding

No comments:

Post a Comment